Associate Professor Phillip Stricker
- Clinical Experience and Expertise
- Professional Contributions
- Public Contributions
1. Open Radical Prostatectomy:
- Performed >3000 cases.
- Specialist in nerve sparing technique
- Mentored and trained Registrars, Fellows and Urological colleagues in nerve sparing technique.
- Achieved international standard outcomes with <10% positive margins, up to 92% potency recovery and <2% long-term incontinence. These results have been presented and published in state, national and international meetings and journals.
Commenced first robotic program in NSW at St Vincent's Private Hospital in February 2006 and currently has one of the largest series in Australia.
2. Robotic Radical Prostatectomy:
- Commenced first robotic program in NSW at St Vincent's in February 2006 and currently the highest volume robotic surgeon in Australia.
- Performed > 1000 cases (2006 – 2013).
- Fully trained robotic Surgeon - particular expertise in nerve sparing robotic surgery.
- Performed the first Dr Vip Patel nerve sparing technique radical prostatectomy in NSW.
- Invited presenter at the World Robotic Symposium in Ohio 2007 and in Orlando in 2008 and 2010.
- Excellent results with low positive margin rate, high continence and good potency results. Presented at 2009 and 2010 Annual Urology Scientific meeting by invitation.
- Accredited mentor to other surgical units (Western Australia, Queensland).
- Associate Editor of Journal of Robotic Surgery.
- Manages the Robotic Fellowship Program at St Vincent's Private Hospital.
3. Low Dose Rate Brachytherapy (Seeds):
- Personal series of > 400 cases (1997-2013). One of the largest series in Australia.
- Results have been presented and published at national and international meetings.
- Mentored and trained many of the units in Australia.
- In 2001, with the support of the Urological Society of Australia arranged the acceptance of Brachytherapy as an approved item number by Medicare in the therapy for prostate cancer.
4. High Dose Rate Brachytherapy:
- Largest personal series in Australia and one of the largest series in the world, with >500 cases performed personally (1998-2013).
- Presented and published at national and international meetings.
- Mentored and trained multiple Urologists in the technique.
- Began the first program in 1998, being the first centre in Australia.
5. High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU):
- Commenced HIFU in October 2005 – the first unit in Australia.
- 2013 commenced HIFU as a focal therapy.
- Developed website www.focalhifu.com.au
6. Active Surveillance:
- >700 cases on active surveillance since 1999.
- The largest series in Australia.
- Structured program of follow-up with PSA, transperineal biopsies of the prostate and MRI scans.
7. Sexual Health Rehabilitation:
- Enormous experience in sexual rehabilitation and preservation and one of the acknowledged experts in Australia.
- Set up one of the largest multidisciplinary sexual dysfunction clinics in the Southern Hemisphere (the Australian Centre for Sexual Health 1991-2001).
- Trained Dr Michael Lowy who now has particular expertise in this area.
- Investigator in the original research on Viagra on the protection of potency after radical prostatectomy surgery, being one of the highest accrual centres in the world and the largest in Australia.
- Currently still involved in multiple projects pertaining to sexual rehabilitation after surgery.
8. Incontinence Therapy after Prostate Cancer Treatment:
- Personal series of >50 cases of insertion of artificial urinary sphincter for severe urinary incontinence.
- Significant experience in the use of the ProAct Device, Invance and Advance Sling and Collagen Implant in the treatment of minor urinary incontinence.
- Has a dedicated pelvic floor Physiotherapist to work in association on continence recovery.
9. Second Opinion Service:
- Over 20 years of experience in tailoring treatment to patient's needs.
- Initiated a large multidisclpinary team for appropriate support throughout all treatments.
- Consults up to 20 second opinions per week.
- Offers second opinion website advice www.phillipstricker.com.au & www.focalhifu.com.au. ;
1. Transperineal Grid-directed Prostate Biopsy Technique:
- Developed and first described this technique internationally in 1997.
- Has minimised the chance of post biopsy sepsis using this technique.
- Has presented and published on this technique nationally and internationally.
- Has mentored and trained Urologists, Fellows and Registrars in this technique.
2. Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Spectroscopy (MRI/MRS):
- This technique has the potential in improving the accuracy of diagnosis, minimizing invasive procedures and in monitoring patients.
- First looked at the accuracy of this technology in prostate in 2007. In 2012 initiated several studies at St Vincent's Campus evaluating MRI accuracy in comparison to prostate biopsies, PCA3 and prostate health index (PHI). Initial results from the study were presented at the AUA in San Diego in May 2013.
- Urological Society of Australasia
- American Urological Association
- European Urological Society
- Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia
- Society International d'Urologie
- Royal Australian College of Surgeons
- Australian Prostate Cancer Collaboration
- NSW Urology Oncology Group
- Chief investigator of numerous pre-clinical and clinical research projects at St Vincent's Campus.
- In 1994 established the St Vincent's Prostate Cancer Clinical Database and Tissue Bank in conjunction with the Garvan Institute. These contain extensive clinical and pathological outcome data and have resulted in a comprehensive scientific and clinical source that has been acknowledged both nationally and internationally.
- Instigated the establishment of the St Vincent's Hospital Prostate Cancer Group.
- Education and mentoring of other Urologists and Urology Fellows in the area of prostate cancer treatments and procedures.
- Prostate cancer grants for NHMRC - Reviewer
- Cancer Council 'Localised Prostate Cancer' book - Member of review committee for both editions.
- 'Your Guide to Prostate Cancer' by Dr Prem Rashid - Member of peer review group.
- Member of the Australian Cancer Network working party that developed guidelines for the Management of Localised & Advanced Prostate Cancer. This has been published and was the first evidence based publication through the network. This was supported by the NHMRC.
- Regularly reviews manuscripts on prostatic conditions especially prostate cancer for peer reviewed journals including Medical Journal of Australia, Medicine Australia and Australian Prescriber.
- Research Supervisor for PhD/Masters students - Dr's David Quinn, Lisa Horvarth, Kris Rasiah, Ruban Thanigasalam, Kim Pryor, Andy Huo, James Symons, Richard Savdie and James Thompson.
- Supervisor of the Urology Fellow program at St Vincent's campus.
- Director of the Australian Prostate Cancer Collaboration - a body that co-ordinates prostate cancer research nationally.
- Co-author with Prof. Kerryn Phelps of the first national 'PSA for the General Practitioner' book. This book was distributed to all GP's in Australia in 2004. An updated edition was written in 2008.
- Regular contributor to the 'St Vincent's Clinic Proceedings' Magazine on new developments and treatments for prostatic conditions.
- Advisor to the NSW Cancer Council (book reviews).
- Member of PSA review board – PCFA & NHMRC.
- Prospective Active Surveillance Program - St Vincent's Campus
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging:- MRI prior to initial biopsy for prostate cancer & MRI, PCA3, PHI prior to repeat biopsy for prostate cancer
- Single surgeon series of open V's robotic radical prostatectomy – 900 patients. Functional outcomes. ;
- Quality of Life (QoL) following Prostate Cancer Treatments study.
- Active surveillance audit – 600 patients. Personal series
- Focal therapy audit – Nanoknife and HIFU. Functional and oncological outcomes.
- Stricker, Grant, Holsken, Taylor. Topical Mitomycin C Therapy for Carcinoma of the Bladder. J Urol, 1987, Vol 128, 1164-1166
- Stricker, Grant. Prophylactic Antibiotics for Elective TURP. Br. J. Urol. June 1988, Vol 61, 494-497
- Stricker, Grant, Hosken, Taylor. Mitomycin C for Bladder Carcinoma. Long Term Follow-up. J.Urol. 1990 (143, 34-36).
- Stricker. The Investigation of Male Sexual Dysfunction. (Review). Medical Journal of Australia - July 1991.
- K. Pryor, J. Goddard, D. Goldstein, P. Stricker, P. Russell, D. Golovsky, R.Penny. BCG enhances monocyte and lymphocyte mediated bladder tumour cell killing. British J. Cancer - 1995, 71, 801-807.
- P. Stricker. Advances in the treatment of superficial bladder cancer: Optimising BCG Immunotherapy Case Discussions. European Urology, Feb 1995, Supp, 32-33.
- K. Pryor, P. Stricker, P. Russell, D. Golovsky R. Penny. Antiproliferative effects of B.C.G. and Interferon A2B on human bladder cancer cells invitro. Cancer Immunology Immunotherapy, 1995, 41: 309—316.
- P. Stricker, K. Pryor, T. Nicholson et.al. BCG plus Intravesical Interferon X 2B in patients with superficial bladder cancer. Urology - 48 (6.: 957—61 1996 DEC.
- P. Stricker. Prostate Cancer: Don't be too casual. M.J.A: 164, (5. 1996: 319-320).
- R. J. Millard, P.D. Stricker, W. Lynch et.al. Risks of self -injection therapy for impotence. M.J.A. letter 1996; 165: 117-118.
- Frydenberg M, Duchesne G, Stricker P. Management of Localised Prostate Cancer: State of the Art. M.J.A 1998 Jul 6:169 (1.: 11-2) .
- M. Frydenberg, P. Stricker, K.W. Kaye. Prostate Cancer Diagnosis and Management. LANCET 349: 168-87 1997
- P. Russell, S Bennett, P. Stricker. Growth Factor Involvement in Progression of Prostate Cancer. Review (Invited). Clinical Chem. 44:4, 705-723. 1998.
- Ricciardelli C, Quinn DI, Raymond WA, McCaul K, Sutherland RL, Stricker PD, Grygiel JJ, Sutherland RL, Marshall VR, Tilley WD, Horsfall DJ. Elevated levels of Peritumoral chondroitin Sulfate are Predictive of poor prognosis in patients treated by Radical Prostatectomy for early stage prostate cancer. Cancer Res 1999, May 15, 59 (10.; 2324-8)
- Raji Kooner and Phillip Stricker. Lower urinary tract symptoms in the male. Benign prostatic hyperplasia. MedicineToday. February 2000: 20-33
- Quinn D.I., Lee C.S., Head D.R., Golovsky D., Brenner P C., Delprado W., Stricker P., Grygiel J.J., Sutherland R.L. Prognostic significance of P53: Nuclear accumulation is localised prostate cancer treated with radical prostatectomy. Cancer Res, March 15, 2000.
- Henshall S.M., Quinn D.I., Lee C.S., Head D.R., Golovsky D., Brenner P.C., Deprado W., Stricker P.D., Grygiel J.J., Sutherland R. Altered expression of Androgen receptor in the malignant epithelium and adjacent stroma is association with early relapse in prostate cancer. Cancer Res 61:423-7. (2001).
- Henshall SM, Quinn DI, Lee CS, Head D, Golovsky D, Brenner P, Delprado W, Stricker PD, Grygiel J, Sutherland RL. Over Expression of the cell cycle inhibitor p161NK4A in high grade intraepithelial neoplasia predicts early relapse in prostate cancer patients. Clin.Cancer Res 7:544-500
- Horvath L., Henshall S.M., Lee C.S., Head D.R., Quinn D.I., Makela S., Delprado W., Golovsky D., Brenner P.C., O'Neill G., Kooner R., Stricker P., Grygiel J., Gustafsson J. A., Sutherland R.L Frequent loss of oestrogen Receptor - B expression in prostate cancer and its association with outcome. Cancer Res 61:5331-5. (2001).
- Phillip Stricker. Prostate Cancer Part 1. Issues in Screening and Diagnosis. Medicine Today. July 2001: 20-31
- Phillip Stricker. Prostate Cancer Part 2 - Options in Treatment Medicine Today. August 2001: 30-38
- Quinn D., Henshall S.M., Haynes A.M., Brenner P.C., Kooner R., Golovsky D., Matthews J., O'Neill G.F., Turner J.J., Delprado W., Finlayson J.F., Sutherland R.L., Grygiel J.J., Stricker P.D., Prognostic significance of pathological features in localised prostate cancer treated with radical prostatectomy. Implications for staging systems and predictive models. J. Clin Oncol. 19:3692-705. (2001).
- Graefen M, Karakiewics PI, Cagiannos I, Klein E, Kupelian P, Quinn DI, Henshall SM, Grygiel JJ, Sutherland RL, Stricker PD, deKemion J, Cangiano T, Scherder FH, Wildhagen MF, Scardino PT, Kattan MW. A study of the accuracy of a postoperative nomogram for recurrence after radical prostatectomy for localised prostate cancer. J.Clin. Oncol 20: 951-956. (2002).
- Graefen Karakiewicz P.I., Cagiannos I., Quinn D.I., Henshall S. M., Grygiel J.J., Sutherland R.L., Stricker P.D., Klein E., Kupelian P., Skinner D.G., Lieskovsky G., Bochner B., Huland H., Hammerer P.G., Hease A., Erbersdobler A., Eastham J. A., de Kernion J., Cangiano T., Schroder F.H., Wildhagen M.F., van der Kwast T., Scardino P.T., Kattan M.W. International validation of a pre-operative nomogram prostate cancer recurrence after radical prostatectomy. J. Clin Oncol: 20: 3206- 3212 (2002 ) .
- Stevens M, Stricker PD, Saalfeld J, et.al Treatment of localised prostate cancer using a combination of HDR Iridium 192, Brachytherapy and EBRT. Australasian Radiology. 2003 47:152-160
- Quinn DI, Henshall SM, Haynes AM, Winoto LFX, Brenner PC, Kooner R, Golovsky D, O'Neill GF, Turner JJ, Delprado W, Finalyson JF, Grygiel JJ, Sutherland RL, Stricker PD. Prognostic significance of pre-operative factors in localised prostate cancer treated with radical prostatectomy: importance of percentage of biopsies that contain cancer and presence of biopsy perineural invasion. Cancer April 2003 97:1884-1893
- Henshall SM, Afar DEH, Rasiah KK, Horvath LG, Gish K, Head DR, Caras I, Kensh JG, Ramakrishnan V, Quinn DI, Turner JJ, Delprado W, Golovsky D, Brenner PC, O'Neill GF, Kooner R, Stricker PD, Grygiel JJ, Mack D, Sutherland RL. ZNT4 in the progression of prostate cancer. Oncogene 22, 6005-6012 (2003).
- Cagiannos I, Karakiewicz PI, Eastman, Ohiri, Rabbani, Juland, Kupelian, Klein, Quinn DI, Henshall SM, Grygiel JJ, Sutherland RL, Stricker PD, Morash, Scardino PT. A Pre-operative nomogram identifying prostate cancer patients with decreased risk of positive pelvic lymph nodes. Journal of Urology.2003 170:1798-1803
- Henshall SM, Afar DEH, Hiller J, Horvath LG, Quinn DI, Rasiah KK, Gish K, Willhite D, Kench J, Stricker PD, Grygiel JJ, Ghandour G, Mack D, Sutherland RL. Survival analysis of genome-wide gene profiles of prostate cancers identifies new prognostic targets of disease relapse. Cancer Res 2003. 63:4196-4203
- K. Rasiah, Phillip D. Stricker, Anne-Maree Haynes, Warick Delprado, Jennifer J Turner, David Golovsky, Phillip C Brenner, Gordon O'Neill, Raji Kooner, John J Grygiel, Robert L Sutherland, Susan M Henshall . The prognostic significance of Gleason pattern in patients with Gleason 7 prostate cancer. Cancer 2003. Dec 15; Volume 98/Number 12, 2560-5
- Horvath LG, Brenner PC, O'Neill GF, Kooner R, Stricker PD, Grygiel JJ and Sutherland RL Membraneous expression of secreted frizzled-related protein 4 predicts for good prognosis in localized prostate cancer and inhibits PC-3 cellular proliferation in vitro. Clinical Cancer Research: January 15 2004, Vol 10, 615-625
- P.Stricker, J Matthews and A-M Haynes. Radical Prostatectomy: A personal series of 700 cases over 14 years: Evolution in technique. ANZ J. Surg. 2004; 74: A1-A8
- M.Hoch, K Rasiah, H Haxhimolla, A-M Haynes, and P Stricker. Determining predictors of insignificant cancer in gleason sum 6 prostate cancer. ANZ J. Surg. 2004;74: A1-A8
- ZH Haxhimolla, SP David, K Rasiah, A-M Haynes, K Luo, D Golovsky and P Stricker. Solitary positive apical margin a treatment dilemma. ANZ J. Surg. 2004;74: A1-A8
- KK Rasiah, SM Henshall, JG Kench, LG Horvarth, D Golovsky, PC Brenner, R Kooner, G O'Neill, J Turner, W Delprado, CS Lee, PD Stricker and RL Sutherland. Identification of novel markers of prognosis in high grade intraepithelial neoplasia and early prostate cancer. ANZ J. Surg. 2004;74: A1-A8
- Cagiannos I, Karakiewicz P, Graefen M, Eastham JA, Ohiro M, Rabbani F, Reuter V, Wheeler T, Kupelian P, Klein E, Huland H, Hammerer PG, Erbersdobler A, Schroeder F, Wildhagen MF, Quinn DI, Henshall SM, Grygiel JJ, Sutherland RL, Stricker PD, Morash CG, Scardino PT and Kattan MW. Is year of radical prostatectomy a predictor of outcome in prostate cancer. J Urol 171: 692-696. (2004).
- Horvath LG., Henshall SM, Kench.JG, Turner.JJ, Golovsky D, Brenner PC, O'Neill G, Kooner R, Stricker P, Grygiel JJ, Sutherland RL. Loss of BMP2, SMAD8 and SMAD4 expression in prostate cancer progression. The Prostate 59: 234- 242 (2004).
- Horvath LG, Brenner PC, O'Neill GF, Kooner R, Stricker PD, Grygiel JJ and Sutherland RL Membraneous expression of secreted frizzled-related protein 4 predicts for good prognosis in localized prostate cancer and inhibits PC-3 cellular proliferation in vitro. Clinical Cancer Research: Vol 10, 615-625, January 15, 2004.
- Daniel Afar, Vinay Bhasker, Phillip Stricker et al. Preclinical Validation of anti-TMEFF2- auristatin E-conjugated antibodies in the treatment of prostate cancer. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics 2004:3 (8. August 2004)
- Jim Adshead, Phillip Stricker. Localised Prostate Cancer - Questions Patients Ask. MedicineToday. September 2004, Volume 5, Number 9:18-32
- Pierre Teillac, Phillip Stricker et al. Efficacy and safety of Viagra in the treatment of erectile dysfunction during the first 6 months following radical prostatectomy. European Urology Supplements 3 (2004. No 2, pg 33).
- Horvath LG, Henshall SM, Lee C-S, Kench JG, Golovsky D, Brenner PC, O'Neill GF, Kooner R, Stricker PD, Grygiel JJ and Sutherland RL Lower levels of nuclear B-catenin predict for a poorer prognosis in localized prostate cancer. Int J Cancer: 113, 415-422 (2005).
- Francesco Montorsi,Phillip Stricker et al. Stratification by outcomes affecting response to Viagra in the treatment of erectile dysfunction during the first 6 months following radical prostatectomy. European Urology Supplements 3 (2004. No 2, pg 32).
- Asne Bauskin, David Brown, Simon Junankar, Kris Rasiah, Sarah Eggleton, Mark Hunter, Tao Liu, Dave Smith, Tamara Kuffner, Greg Pankhurst, Heiko Johnen, Pamela Russell, Wade Barret, Phillip Stricker, John Grygiel, James Kench, Susan Henshall, Robert Sutherland, Samuel Breit. The Propeptide Mediates Formation of Stromal Stores of PROMIC-1: Role in Determining Prostate Cancer Outcomes. Cancer Res 2005; 65(6. March 15, 2005).
- Finney G, Haynes A-M, Cross P, Brenner PC, Stricker P. Cross sectional analysis of sexual function after prostate brachytherapy. Urology 66377-381. (2005).
- Petr Macek, Dinesh Patel and Phillip Stricker. Assessing and managing benign prostatic hyperplasia. MedicineToday September 2005, Vol. 6, Number 9:12 22.
- Karakiewicz PI, Eastham JA, Graefen M, Cagiannos I, Stricker P, Klein E, Cangiano T, Schroder FH, Scardino PT, Kattan MW. Prognostic Impact of Positive Surgical Margins in Surgically Treated Prostate Cancer:Multi-institutional Assessment of 5831 Patients'. Urology. 2005 Dec;66 (6:1245-50).
- Kris Rasiah, James Kench, Margaret Gardiner-Garden, Andrew Biankin, David Golovsky, Phillip Brenner, Raji Kooner, Gordon O'Neill, Jennifer Turner, Warick Delprado, C. Soon Lee, David Brown, Samuel Breit, John Grygiel, Lisa Horvath, Phillip Stricker, Robert Sutherland, Susan Henshall. Aberrant Neuropeptide Y and Macrophage Inhibitory Cytokine-1 Expression are early events in prostate cancer development and are associated with poor prognosis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2006;15 (4. April 2006).
- P Macek, P Stricker, M Stevens, R Jagavkar, V Chalasani, A-M Haynes, J Matthews, P Brenner, D Golovsky, R Kooner and G O'Neill. Outcomes of radical prostatectomies and HDR brachytherapy in patients with intermediate and high risk prostate cancer. 2006 BJU International. Abstracts.
- M Stevens, P Stricker, J Saalfeld, P Brenner and R Kooner. Treatment of localised prostate cancer using a combination of high dose-rate Ir-192 brachytherapy (HDRB) and external beam radiation therapy (EBRT): a 7 year experience. 2006 BJU International. Abstracts.
- Susan Henshall, Lisa Horvath, David Quinn, Sarah Eggleton, John Grygiel, Phillip Stricker, Andrew Biankin, James Kench, Robert Sutherland. Zinc-alpha2-glycoprotein Expression as a Predictor of Metastatic Prostate Cancer Following Radical Prostatectomy. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Vol 98, No.19, October 4 2006.
- Charles Chabert, Ziv Maianski and Phillip Stricker. Saw palmetto and lower urinary tract symptoms in men. MedicineToday. August 2007, Vol. 8, Number 8: 71-72.
- P.Stricker Approaches to Nerve Sparing Retrograde Athermal Technique. Journal of Robotic Surgery 2008 (2) 105-133.
- P.Stricker Ethical Introduction of Robotic Radical Prostatectomy Surgery for an Experienced Open Surgeon. Journal of Robotic 2008 (2) 105-133.
- Sakko AJ, Butler MS, Byers S, Reinboth BJ, Stahl J, Kench JG, Horvath LG, Sutheraland RL, Stricker PD, Henshall SM, Marshall VR, Tilley WD, Horsfall DJ, Ricciardelli C. Immunohistochemical Level of Unsulfated Chondroitin Disaccharides in the Cancer Stroma is an Independent Predictor of Prostate Cancer Relapse. Cancer Epidermiol Biomakers Prev. 2008 Sept; 17(9):2488-97
- Padma-Nathan H, McCullough AR, Levine LA, Lipshultz LI, Siegal R, Montorsi F, Giuliano F, Brock G; Study Group (Stricker PD). Randomised, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of Postoperative Nightly SildenafilCitrate for the Prevention of Erectile Dysfunction after Bilateral Nerve-Sparing Radical Prostatectomy. Int J Impot Res. 2008 Sep-Oct; 20(5): 479-86. Epub 2008 Jul 24.
- Ho LL, Kench JG, Handelsman DJ, Scheffer GL, Stricker PD, Grygiel JG, Sutherland RL, Henshall SM, Allen JD, Horvath LG. Androgen Regulation of Multidrug Resistance-Associated Protein 4 (MRP4/ABCC4) in Prostate Cancer. Prostate. 2008 Sep 15; 68 (13): 1421-9
- Rasiah KK, Gardiner-Garden M, Padilla EJ, Moller G, Kench JG, Alles MC, Eggleton SA, Stricker PD, Adamski J, Sutherland RL, Henshall SM, Hayes VM. HSD17B4 Overexpression, an Independent Biomaker of Poor Outcome in Prostate Cancer. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2008 Nov 28.
- Ruban Thanigasalam, Krishan Rasiah, Phillip Stricker, Phillip Brenner, David Golovsky, Raji Kooner, Gordon O'Neill, Arul Earnest, Anne-Maree Haynes, Sarah Sutherland, Susan Henshall, Lisa Horvath. Stage Migration in Localised Prostate Cancer has No Impact on the Post Radical Prostatectomy Kattan Nomogram. BJU International 2010. March 105 (5) 642-7.
- Smith DP, King MT, Egger S, Berry M, Stricker P, Cozzi P, Ward J, O'Connell DL, Armstrong BK. Quality of Life Three Years After Treatment for Localised Prostate Cancer: A Population-Based Study. BMJ 2009. Nov 27, 339-b4817. doc:10.1136/bmj.b4817
- Charles Chabert, Phillip Stricker. Treatment for Localised Prostate Cancer. Medicine Today. July 2009; Vol 10 No.7: 63-66
- Doumerc N, Yuen C, Savdie R, Bayzidur Rahman M, Rasiah K, PeBenito R, Delprado W , Matthews J, Haynes A-M and Stricker P. Should Experienced Open Prostatic Surgeons Convert to Robotic Surgery? The Real Learning curve for One Surgeon over 3 Years. BJU Int: 10.1111/j. 1464-410X.2009.0958x
- Phillip Stricker. A Practical Guide on PSA Testing. Medicine Today. Nov 2009. Vol 10, Number 11
- P Chen, R Thanigasalam, S Henshall, A-M Haynes, J Matthews and P Stricker. Prospective Comparative Analysis of Clinico-Pathological Outcomes Between Robotic Assisted and Open Radical Prostatectomy. 2009 The Authors Journal Compilation. 2009 BJU International. 103, Supplement 1, 1-48. Abstract.
- P Chen, R Thanigasalam, P Stricker, J Matthews, R DeBenito, A-M Haynes, S Henshall and K Rasiah. The Clinico-Pathological Outcome of Men Undergoing Prostatectomy with PSA < 4. 2009 The Authors Journal Compilation. 2009 BJU International. 103 Supplement 1. 1-48. Abstract.
- B Moore, R DeBenito, A-M Haynes, P Stricker. The Impact of Nerve Sparing Surgical Margin Status and Oncological Outcome in Radical Prostatectomy. 2010 The Authors Journal Compilation. 2010 BJU International. 105 Supplement 1. 1-38. Abstract.
- R Savdie, C Yuen, A-M Haynes, R DeBenito, K Rasiah, R Jagavkar, P Stricker. High-Risk Prostate Cancer: Comparison of 10 Year Biochemical Relapse-Free Survival Between High Dose Rate Brachytherapy and Open Radical Prostatectomy. 2010 The Authors Journal Compilation, 2010 BJU International. 105 Supplement 1. 1-38. Abstract.
- N Dourmerc, C Yuen, P Stricker. Robot-assisted Laparoscopic Prostatectomy: Analysis of an Experienced Open Surgeon's Learning Curve After 300 Procedures. Journal of Robotic Surgery. (2010) 3;229-234.
- Bianco-Miotto T, Chiam K, Buchanan G, Jindal S, Day TK, Thomas M, Pickering MA, O'Loughlin M, Ryan NK, Raymond WA, Horvath LG Kench JG, Stricker PD, Marshall VR, Sutherland RL, Henshall SM, Gerald WL, Scher HI, Risbridger GP, Clements JA, Butler LM, Horsfall DJ, Tilley WD and Ricciardelli C (2010). Global levels of specific histone modifications and an epigenetic gene signature predict prostate cancer progression and development. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19: 2611-2622
- Talentov D, Jatkoe TA, Boehm M, Zhang Y, Ferguson AM, Stricker PD, Kattan MW,Sutherland RL, Kench JG, Wang Y, and Henshall SM (2010). Gene based predication of clinically localised prostate cancer progression after radical prostatectomy. J Urology 184: 1521-1528.
- Yuen C, Stricker P. Advances in the management of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Medicine Today. September 2011, Volume 12 Number 9.
- Yip PY, Kench JG, Pebenito RP, Lee CS, Stricker PD, Henshall SM, Sutherland RL,Horvath LG. Low AZGP1 expression predicts for recurrence in margin positive, localised prostate cancer. Prostate. 2011 Nov; 71(15)
- Savdie R, Horvath L, Pebenito R, Rasiah KK, Haynes AM, Chatfield M, Stricker PD, Turner JJ, High Gleason grade carcinoma at a positive surgical margin predicts biochemical failure after radical prostatectomy and may guide adjuvant radiotherapy. Delprado W, Henshall SM, Sutherland RL, Kench JG. BJU Int. 2011 Oct 12.
- Moore BM, Savdie R, Pebenito RA, Haynes AM, Matthews J, Delprado W, Rasiah KK, Stricker PD. The impact of nerve sparing on incidence and location of positive surgical margins in radical prostatectomy. BJU Int. 2012 Feb; 109(4): 533-8
- King MT, Viney R, Smith DP,Hossain I, Street D, Savage E, Fowler S, Berry MP, Stockler M, Cozzi P, Stricker P, Ward J, Armb BK. Survival gains needed to offset persistent adverse treatment effects in localised prostate cancer. British Journal of Cancer (2012)106, 638-645.
- Hossack T, Patel MI, Huo A, Brenner P, Yuen C, Spernat D, Mathews J, Haynes A-M, Sutherland RL and Stricker PD (2012). Location and pathological characteristics of cancers in radical prostatectomy specimens identified by transperineal biopsy compared to transrectal biopsy. J Urol.2012
- Huo AS, Hossack T, Symons JL, Pebenito R, Delprado WJ, Brenner P, Stricker PD Accuracy of primary systematic template-guided transperineal biopsy of the prostate for locating prostate cancer: A comparison with radical prostatectomy specimens. J Urol. 2012 April
- David P Smith, Dianne O'Connell, Albert Bang, Madeleine King, Martin Berry, Phillip Stricker, Paul Cozzi, Bruce K Armstrong Survival in men diagnosed with prostate cancer: 8 to 10 year outcomes from the NSW Prostate Cancer Care and Outcomes Study. Draft Abstract for Sydney Cancer Conference 2012
- Beattie K, Symons J, Chopra S, Yuen C, Savdie R, Thanigasalam R, Haynes A-M, Matthews J, Brenner PC, Rasiah K, Sutherland RL, and Stricker PD ( 2013 ). A novel method of bladder neck imbrication to improve early urinary continence following robot-assisted racial prostatectomy. J Robotic Surg: 10.1007/s11701-012-0371-2
- Yuen C, Hoassack T, Haynes A-M, Pe Benito RA, Matthews J, Fogarty G Jagavkar R, Brenner P and Stricker PD ( 2012 ). Impact of percentage of positive biopsy cores on biochemical outcome in patients treated with low-dose rate (Iodine-125) brachytherapy for prostate cancer. Open Prostate Cancer J 5: 15-19.
- Symons JL, Huo A, Yuen CL Haynes A, Matthews J, Sutherland RL, Brenner P and Stricker PD. Outcomes of transperineal template-guided prostate biopsy in 409 patients. BJU 2013.
- Stricker PD, Frdenberg M, Kneebone A, Chopra S. Informed prostate cancer risk- adjusted testing: a new paradigm. BJU Int. 2012 Dec;110 Suppl 4:30-4
- Luke Selth, Scott Townley, Andrew Bert, Phillip Stricker, Peter Sutherland, Lisa Horvath, Gregory Goodall, Lisa Butler and Wayne Tilley. Circulating microRNAs predict biochemical recurrence in prostate cancer patients. BJC 2013.
- Prasanna Sooriakumaran, Abhishek Srivastava, Shahrokh F. Shariat, Phillip D. Stricker, Thomas Ahlering, Christopher G. Eden, Peter N. Wiklund, Rafael Sanchez-Salas, Alexandre Mottrie, David Lee, David E. Neal, Reza Ghavamian, Peter Nyirady, Andreas Nilsson, Stefan Carlsson, Evanguelos Xylinas, Wolfgang Loidl, Christian Seitz, Paul Schramek, Claus Roehrborn, Xavier Cathelineau, Douglas Skarecky, Greg Shawm, Anne Warren, Warick J. Delprado, Anne-Marie Haynes, Ewout Steyerberg, Monique J. Roobol, Ashutosh K. Tewari. A Multinational, Multi-institutional Study Comparing Positive Surgical Margin Rates Among 22 393 Open, Laparoscopic, and Robot-assisted Radical Prostatectomy Patients. European Urology 5403 November 2013
- 1995 Tumour Markers and Flow Cytometry. Chapter in book 'The Bladder'. Fitzpatrick and Krane.
Chapter by P.Stricker and P.Russell. Pg 385-394.
- 2000 July. The Australian Medical Association. 'Home Medical Guide to Prostate Disorders'.
- 2003. 'Treatment of Localised Prostate Cancer'. Member of the Prostate Cancer Working for Cancer Network Australia.
- 2004 'PSA for the General Practitioner' Book.
P.Stricker and K. Phelps.
- 2008 'Prostate Cancer for the General Practitioner.' Book
P. Stricker and K. Phelps.
- 2008 'So I Have Prostate Cancer, What Now?' PCFA DVD
- 2009 'How Do You Choose' DVD
- 2010 'Intergrative Medicine for the General Practitioner' Book. Hassad and Phelps.
Chapter on prostate cancer.
- 2012 Series of DVD's – P Stricker. 'Pelvic Floor Exercises, Moving Forward', Treatments', Cured of Prostate Cancer – What About Quality of Life', 'Return to Potency after Prostate Cancer', Prostate Cancer Treatments-Managing Side Effects', Prostate Cancer – Integrative Medicine Taking Control', Prostate Cancer – Urinary Control', Advanced Prostate Cancer – Prof. Charles Myers, Prostate Cancer - managing the Mind', 'Robotic Surgery – The Journey'.
- 2013 'Improving outcomes in robotic radical prostatectomy.' Chapter 7. Editor Vip Patel.
- Impotence Symposium of Australasia - Operative Workshop St Vincent's Hospital - 1991.
Editor of Monograph. Presentations on 'Intracorporeal Pharmacotherapy - Results
and Complications' - P. Stricker (T.Dean) & 'Polypharmacotherapy' - P Stricker (L.Jacobs)
- Update of Urology for GP's University of NSW 1993.
Presentations on Renal calculi, Prostate cancer & Impotence
- Society Internationale d'Urologie 23rd Congress Meeting Sydney. 1994.
Editor of daily proceedings & Presenter
- Prostate Cancer Symposium - Operative Workshop St Vincent's Clinic 1995.
Editor of Monograph. Presentation on 'Radical Perineal Prostatectomy - St Vincent's Experience' .
- Impotence Management Symposia.
P Stricker - Chairman of Australian Impotence Advisory Board 1995
- Australian Society of Impotence Medicine Inaugural Meeting 1997
4 Presentations & Surgical Workshop
- Inaugural National GUOG Meeting (Leura).
Presentations & Workshop on Prostate Cancer Surgery
- Brachytherapy for Prostate Cancer Symposium with J.Blasko
St Vincent's Hospital. 1997
Convenor and Demonstrated
- Prostate Cancer Symposium - Presentation on Radical Prostatectomy
Garvan Institute. 1999
- Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy - Laser Prostatectomy
St Vincent's Hospital. 1999
- Prostate Cancer Update with P.Scardino - Operative Workshop
St Vincent's Hospital. 2001
- Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy - Operative Workshop
St Vincent's Hospital. 2003
Convenor R.Kooner & P.Stricker
- Brachytherapy Workshop with M.Zelefsky - Operative Workshop
St Vincent's Hospital. 2005
Convenor and Demonstrated
- Robot Assisted Radical Prostatectomy with V. Patel - Operative Workshop
St Vincent's Hospital. 2007
- MRI of the Prostate – A Multidisciplinary Symposium – May 2012.
- Focal Therapy, Imaging & Biopsy Techniques with Mark Emberton – Operative Workshop St Vincent's Hospital, 2013.
- Australasian Urological Society Annual Meeting - Intravesical BCG. 'Immunotherapy & Chemotherapy - 10 year experience' P. Stricker
- Australasian Ultrasound Society - Annual Meeting
- Transrectal ultrasound for prostate.
- Penile Duplex ultrasound.
- New Zealand Urological Society -'Transurethral needle ablation of the prostate'. P.Stricker, G. Coombes.
- Malaysian Urological Society – Incontinence & Collagen Implant
- International Urological Society - 23rd Congress
- B.C.G. for Bladder cancer
- Collagen for Stress Incontinence
- TUNA for B.P.H.
- 8th Congress of World Ostomy Association – Adelaide.'Sexual consequence of Surgery'.
- Queensland Assert & Sexual Health Society Meeting. Specialised investigation of Impotence.
- International Menopause Society
- Symposium of male Sexual Dysfunction.
- 8th African Urological Society. Invited speaker 'Peyronie's and side effects of injection treatment'
- South Australian Urological Society Meeting. Presentations on:
- Role of Surgery for prostate cancer
- Peyronie's Disease
- Collagen Implant for Male Incontinence
- South Africa Visiting Lecturer -'Peyronie's Disease & Injection Therapy'
- Annual Urological Society of Australia Meeting – Adelaide. 'Peyronie's Disease'
- Shanghai Urological Group - Shanghai China.'1125 Brachytherapy for Prostate Cancer' ;
- Asia-Pacific Urological Association Annual Meeting - Beijing China
- Brachytherapy for Prostate Cancer
- Prostate Cancer and Sexual Dysfunction
- Victorian State Urology Meeting. Presentations on:
- Prostate Cancer
- Peyronie's Disease
- Grid Biopsy
- Urological Society of Australasia (USA) - Annual Scientific Meeting
- 'Medico Legal Aspect of Prostate Cancer'
- Australian Prostate Cancer Collaboration (APCC) ASM.
- 'Nomogram Validation for Prostate Cancer'
- Annual Australian Urological Meeting. Presentation on Prostate Cancer
- NSW Urology Meeting. Presentation on Prostate Cancer.
- National Prostate Cancer Symposium. Presentation on Prostate Cancer
- American Urological Association (AUA) Meeting - 2 presentations
- Australian Annual Scientific Urology Meeting - 7 presentations
- APCC - presentation on Prostate Cancer
- Australian Brachytherapy Society -'Outcomes of High & Low Dose Brachytherapy'
- Sloan Kettering Prostate Cancer Meeting - 'Prostate Cancer Outcomes'
- Eli Lilly Company Meeting -'Prostate Cancer & Erectile Dysfunction'
- National Prostate Cancer Symposium -'Prostate Cancer & Surgery'
- Australian Brachytherapy Society - 2 presentations
- Urological Society of Australasia - 2 presentations
- Uro-Oncology Group of NSW - 'Radical Prostatectomy'
- Sydney University - Debate on Prostate Cancer
- NSW Urology Meeting - 3 presentations
- Australian-Israeli Chamber of Commerce - presentation on Prostate Cancer
- Australasian Urological Society - 2 presentations
- Chinese Urological Society - 2 presenations
- St Vincent's Hospital 'Steggles' Conference
- Brachytherapy Symposium - 4 presentations
- Asia Pacific Uro-Oncology Meeting - presentation on 'HIFU'
- World Health Organisation Symposium Paris -Presentation on Prostate Cancer.
- NSW Urological Society Meeting - 2 presentations
- Australasian Urological Society - 3 presentations ;
- NSW Urological Society Meeting - 4 presentations
- 7th National Prostate Cancer Symposium Melbourne
- Presentation on 'HIFU'
- Australasian Urological Society - 2 presentations
- General Practitioners Continuing Education Annual Meeting - 3 presentations
- Urology Oncology Group Meeting - 2 presentations ;
- 2nd International Robotic Symposium Ohio - 1 presentation
- PCFA Men's Health Promotion Forum – Prostate cancer treatment panel – radical prostatectomy (open, robotic & laparoscopic).
- NSW Nurses Urological Society meeting – Topic: Prostate Cancer. October ;
- 3rd International Robotic Symposium Orlando - 2 presentations. March
- Laverty Pathology Men's Health Conference for GPs - ;Topic: Prostate Cancer.
- Nurses Surgical Symposium Westmead Hospital – 'Prostatectomy & Robotic Surgery'.
- General Practitioner's Continuing Education Annual Meeting – Prostate cancer & PSA.
- Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia Hunter Region
- Western Australian Urological Society National Annual Scientific Meeting - ;3 presentations.
- Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia 1st National Conference, Gold Coast 'Future of Prostate Cancer'.
- 18th Australasian Brachytherapy Group Annual Scientific Meeting, Gold Coast - ;1 presentation.
- Australasian Urological Annual Meeting. Gold Coast - 3 presentations
- Australasian Urological Society Annual Meeting Perth - ;2 presentations and debate: 'Robotic Assisted Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy is the Gold Standard Surgical Treatment for Prostate Cancer'.
- 5th International Robotic Symposium Orlando. ; 'Continence after robot radical prostatectomy'.
- Integrative Medicine Society Meeting. 'Integrative prostate cancer treatment' & 'Robotics in prostate cancer surgery.'
- 11th National Prostate Cancer Symposium Melbourne. August. 'Continece post robotic radical prostatectomy'.
- New Zealand Urological Meeting. 'Prostate Cancer - How to choose' & 'Robotic surgery'.
- PCFA National Conference. 'Prostate Cancer – How to choose' & 'Side effects management'.
- NSW Section Urological Meeting, Sydney, November Point Counterpoint – Locally Advanced Prostate Cancer.
- NSW Urological Nurses Conference, Sydney 'How does one make a choice between different prostate cancer treatment modalities and robotic surgery'.
- 12th Australasian Prostate Cancer Conference (APCC), Melbourne, August. Master class in robotic surgery.
- Trainee Week 2011 'Localised Prostate Cancer – What We Do Know, What We Don't'. Factors in favour of robotic radical prostatectomy surgery.
- General Practitioner Annual Symposium, Sydney, May.
- Prostate cancer update
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia update
- The Inaugural international prostate cancer symposium – Weill Cornell Medical College New York.
- Locally advanced prostate cancer
- Benefits of robotic radical prostatectomy.
- American Urological Society Annual Scientific Meeting. Washington, May.
- Quality of Life
- Transperineal biopsy of prostate
- Locally advanced prostate cancer.
- GlaxoSmithKline Australia Pty Ltd GP Dinner, March. 'STEP UP – Do more for your patients with BPH'.
- Friends of Israel Urological Symposium Tel Aviv May.
- Learning curve of robot assist prostatectomy.
- Nerve sparing radical prostatectomy – How do I do it -Bladder neck dissection and dissection of seminal vesicles.
- NSW State Parliament Sydney. 'Prostate cancer update'.
- MRI of the Prostate – A Multidisciplinary Symposium. May. Sydney
- The role of MRI
- Screening and MRI
- The Australian Vietnamese Health Professionals Association NSW Inc. – Annual Scientific Conference. October. Sydney. ; PSA & Prostate Cancer Update.
- 3rd Congress of Asian Pacific Prostate Society (APSS) – 13th April. Melbourne
'How to improve continence & potency after robot-assisted radical prostatectomy'
- St Vincent's Campus Steggles Conference – April. Sydney
- Focal therapy – Are we ready?
- Biopsy techniques – TRUS v's Transperineal
- 2 live cases presentation (Nanoknife & HIFU)
- Prostate Cancer Support Network
- Along with Jayne Matthews was involved in the initiation of the first prostate cancer support group in Australia at St Vincent's Hospital, Sydney. Has also been instrumental in the development of the Association of Prostate Cancer Support Groups throughout Australia and incorporating this in the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia.
- Invited guest speaker at many prostate cancer support groups in NSW and ACT.
- Guest speaker at the Inaugural NSW Men's Health Promotion Conference organised by the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia.
- Public Education Information Brochures
- Active member in an educational sense on prostate cancer issues through frequent contributions to newsletters, tapes/DVD's and a series of books. 'Lifebuoy' - St Vincent's Campus prostate cancer support group newsletter and 'Prostate News' - The Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia.
- AMA prostate cancer guidelines.
- DVD for prostate cancer information for support groups (PCFA & personal).
- Cancer Council booklet on Prostate cancer.
- Television, Radio and Newspaper Interviews/Articles
- Invited guest speaker on several community programs to discuss new developments in prostate cancer such as:
-Television: 60 Minutes-Channel 9, 'What's Good for You','A Current Affair' and Prime Time News on all TV stations.
- Radio: 2GB, John Laws, Dr John D'Arcy and ABC Radio national - Newspapers: Financial Review and the Sydney Morning Herald
- Invited guest speaker on several community programs to discuss new developments in prostate cancer such as:
- Website Service
- Developed the official website for the St Vincent's Prostate Cancer Centre
;www.prostate.com.au, phillipstricker.com.au. and www.focalhifu.com.au. These sites are very informative and user friendly and offers a second opinion service.
- Developed the official website for the St Vincent's Prostate Cancer Centre
- General Practitioner Education
- 'PSA for the General Practitioner' - Co author with Prof. Kerryn Phelps. This book was distributed to all G.P's throughout Australia.
- GPCE (General Practitioner Continuing Education) Annual Conference - regular invited speaker at the National Conference for GP's held annually.
- Invited guest speaker at numerous GP groups both in metropolitan and rural areas.
- 'Prostate Cancer for the General Practitioner' PSA Booklet Edition 2. Co-authored with Prof. Kerryn Phelps. This book was distributed to 21,500 GP's and Specialists throughout Australia (2008).
- Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia
- Inaugural Director.
- Been integral in raising funds and establishing policy as a Foundation member of the organisation.
- Contributed to the national 'Be A Man' campaign to raise awareness of prostate cancer in the community.
- Urology Nurses Education
- Along with the nurses at St Vincent's Private Hospital, has constructed a diploma course in Urology, particularly in prostate cancer. This diploma course is now conducted annually.
- Invited guest speaker at several NSW & Australian Urology Nurses Society conferences on prostate cancer treatments.
- Research Fellows
- Michael Hoch (France)
- Petr Macek (Czech Republic)
- Ziv Maianski (Israel)
- Ruban Thanigasalam
- Can Huynh
- Paul Chen
- Carlo Yuen
- Richard Savdie
- Nicolas Doumerc (France)
- James Symons
- Tania Hossack
- James Thompson
- Lee Ponsky (USA)
- Registrars Trained
- Stuart Ehsman
- Peter Nash
- Graham Coombes
- Justin Vass
- Paul Kovac
- Paul Gassner
- Ramin Samali
- Michael Wines
- Hodo Hoximollo
- Jim Adshead
- Venu Chalasani
- Charles Chabert
- Can Huynh
- Claire Whelan
- Anthony Hutton
- M.B.B.S (Honours II Division I) University of NSW. 1978
- F.R.A.C.S. Part I 1980
- V.Q.E 1980
- F.R.A.C.S. (Urology) Part 2 1988
- 1979 - 1981 Junior Residency - St George Hospital.
- 1982 - 1985 General Surgical Training and Fellowship.
- 1986 - 1988 Urological Training and Fellowship.
- 1989 - Visiting Urologist to St Vincent's Hospital, Sydney.
- 1989 - 2001 Visiting Urologist to the Royal Hospital for Women, Sydney.
- 1989 - Visiting Urologist to St Vincent's Private Hospital, Sydney.
- 1989 - 2001 Visiting Urologist to the Royal Hospital for Women, Sydney.
- 1989 - Visiting Urologist to St Luke's Hospital, Sydney.
- 1993 - Consultant Transplant Surgeon to St George Hospital, Sydney.
- 2000 - Conjoint Senior Lecturer University of NSW, Sydney.
- 2004 - Conjoint Associate Professor University of NSW, Sydney.
- 2013 – Clinical Associate Professor Sydney Medical School, Sydney University.
- Impotence Surgical Training: -Bill Furlow - Nashville - Tom Lue - San Francisco
- Pelvic Cancer Surgery: - Bill Fair, H Herr - Sloan Kettering, New York - Donald Skinner - U.S.C. Scott Swanson - St Vincent's Hospital - Michael Lieber - St Vincent's Hospital - John Blasko - St Vincent's Hospital - Keith Kaye - Perth - Joe Oesterling - St Vincent's Hospital - Peter Scardino - St Vincent's Hospital - Bertrand Guillaneau - St Vincent's Hospital
- Incontinence Surgery: - S.Raz - U.C.L.A. - open surgery - R.Appell - Memphis - collagen - E. Mcguire - Ann Arbour - slings
- Stone Surgery: -J.Segura - St Vincent's Hospital - EDAP Machine - St Vincent's Hospital - Glen Preminger - St Vincent's Hospital
- Ablatherm for Prostate Cancer: - Gelet - France - Vallencien - France
- Laser Prostatectomy for BPH: - Peter Gilling - St Vincent's Hospital
- Greenlight Laser Prostatectomy for BPH - Gordon Muir - London
- Low Dose Rate Brachytherapy: - Michael Zelevsky - St Vincent's Hospital - Keith Kaye - Western Australian
- Advance Sling – Paris June 2008.
- Robotic Radical Prostatectomy: Vip Patel - St Vincent's Hospital - Ohio State University Medical Center - Florida Hospital
- Focal Therapy – Prof. Mark Emberton UCLH London.